Yellow cake mix cookies take all the fuss out of making homemade cookies! They’re super easy, incredibly delicious, and they can be customized with your favorite mix-ins or toppings!
Sometimes the biggest hassle in baking is finding all the ingredients in the pantry and measuring them out one-by-one. (Or maybe that’s just the biggest hassle if, like me, you can’t seem to keep your pantry organized!) These yellow cake mix cookies are hassle-free because all of the dry ingredients are in the cake mix. No measuring flour, sugar, or baking soda!
Easy Yellow Cake Mix Cookies
There are only 4 ingredients in this recipe for cake mix cookies, and the whole thing takes under 20 minutes to make. I love that! As you know, I’m a big fan of cake mix hacks, and using it to make cookies is my current favorite trick—especially with Christmas baking season coming up!
I added chocolate chips to these yellow cake mix cookies, but you can get creative and try other ingredients, too. I share some ideas below, or come up with your own!
- Boxed yellow cake mix – Duncan Hines, Pillsbury, or any other brand you like!
- Eggs – Let them sit on the counter a bit so they come to room temperature.
- Olive oil or vegetable oil
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
You can skip the chocolate chips and add frosting instead, or use a different mix-in. Here are some to try:
- Chopped Heath bars or another candy you like
- Chopped nuts
- Dried cherries or cranberries
How to Make Yellow Cake Mix Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Make the Cookie Dough
Combine the yellow cake mix, eggs, and oil in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until just combined, then fold in the chocolate chips.
3. Form the Cookies
Use a cookie scoop to form the cookies and place them on a baking sheet. If you don’t have a cookie scoop, use heaping tablespoons full of dough. Sprinkle the tops with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 12 – 15 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown and feel firm on the edges.
Transfer cookies to a rack to cool, then serve.
How do you make cookie dough out of cake mix?
Adding less liquid will allow you to make a cake mix into cookie dough. Follow the recipe below and you can’t go wrong!
Can you substitute butter for oil in cake mix cookies?
Yes, but the butter needs to be melted, then measured to make sure the right amount of liquid is added.
How to Store
Store these cookies in an airtight container on the counter at room temperature for about 3 days. Beyond that, you can place the cookies in a freezer bag and keep them in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you want to eat them, let them thaw on the counter or warm them up in the microwave for a few seconds.
More Easy Cookie Recipes to Try
Yellow Cake Mix Cookies
- 15 oz box of yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Combine yellow cake mix, eggs, and oil to a mixing bowl.
- Beat to combine, then fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop – add to a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle tops with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Transfer cookies immediately to a cooling rack.