This Beef Vegetable Soup recipe is the ultimate comfort food recipe and for good reason! It’s quick, easy and full of flavor and can be made in the instant pot!
The recipe was passed down from my grandmother and is a family favorite! Homemade Beef Vegetable Soup is my very favorite comfort food.
Old-Fashioned Vegetable Soup Recipe
My earliest memories are of my grandmother making a large pot of vegetable soup and we’d all go over to her house and enjoy a big bowl of soup with Club Crackers or crusty bread plus a big glass of milk.
And, when my grandmother wasn’t making this homemade soup recipe on the stove, my mom was. This recipe has always been a favorite of mine.
And when I’m needing a little bit of home, I make it for my family, too. Vegetable beef soup is one of my favorite comfort soup recipes!
This Vegetable Soup Recipe is super easy to make and requires minimal prep. I’m sure you could use all fresh veggies and spend hours in the kitchen chopping and measuring, but you don’t have to with this recipe!
How do you make homemade beef vegetable soup?
Making my grandmother’s vegetable soup recipe is easy! It uses canned vegetables and stew meat and a secret ingredient – a handful of elbow noodles!
While you could use hamburger, I love the taste of slow-cooked chunks of beef from a chuck roast in this soup. It really is the best!
I always make this soup on the stove and let it cook all day long or make it as slow cooker vegetable beef soup.
BUT today I’m sharing a way to make Instant Pot Vegetable Soup that takes a fraction of the time!
What goes into a vegetable soup?
- Stewed diced tomatoes – These add such a great texture to the recipe.
- Pork and beans
- Corn – Sweet corn is my favorite!
- Elbow macaroni – You can also use shells or other types of macaroni.
- Stew meat (roast) – Cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Salt & pepper – Use as much or as little as you want.
Select the Saute Button on the Instant Pot and set it to normal.
2. Add meat
Add 2 tablespoons oil and stew meat
Season the beef with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
4. Brown the stew meat
Cook the stew meat until browned on all sides; about 5 minutes
Add the remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir together
Put the lid onto the Instant Pot and seal it, making sure the vent on top is in the correct position.
7. Cook on high pressure
Press the MEAT/STEW button and cook at high pressure for 35 minutes.
When done cooking, let it natural release for 5 minutes and then use the quick release on top to depressurize the Instant Pot.
Serve with crusty bread or crackers
What seasonings do you put in the homemade beef vegetable soup?
I like to keep it simple with my veggie soup – salt & pepper. So people like a bay leaf thrown in, too!
What toppings go well on gourmet vegetable beef soup?
I love to top with crushed crackers or oyster crackers! You can add some shredded cheese, diced onions, or diced jalapenos as well.
How to make Vegetable Soup on the stove:
This easy soup recipe can be made on the stove, as well. Brown the beef and add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT for the elbow noodles.
Let the soup simmer on the stove for 1-3 hours at medium-high heat until the beef is nice and tender and falls apart.
During the last ten minutes of cooking, add the elbow noodles to the pot and cook until tender.
For the ultimate comfort food that is quick, easy and full of flavor, try this Homemade Vegetable Soup Recipe! It’s out of this world!
If you like this old fashioned vegetable soup, you’ll love these!
Beef Vegetable Soup
- 2 cans Veg-All
- 1 large can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can pork and beans
- 1 can corn
- a handful of elbow macaroni
- 1 lb stew meat roast
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- salt & pepper
- garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Select the Saute Button on the Instant Pot and set it to normal.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and stew meat
- Season the beef with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Cook the stew meat until browned on all sides; about 5 minutes
- Add the remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir together
- Put the lid onto the Instant Pot and seal it, making sure the vent on top is in the correct position.
- Press the MEAT/STEW button and cook at high pressure for 35 minutes.
- When done cooking, let it natural release for 5 minutes and then use the quick release on top to depressurize the Instant Pot.
- Serve with crusty bread or crackers
Pin this Vegetable Soup Recipe for later!
For more reader’s favorite recipes: