This Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is the perfect overnight breakfast for a weekend brunch or big appetites! It’s full of savory flavor and lots of cheddar cheese.
If your idea of a good breakfast involves eggs, sausage, and hashbrowns, then this overnight Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is about to become your new favorite. It combines all of these in one convenient casserole dish—with added veggies and cheese for good measure. Just pair it with some fresh fruit or buttermilk biscuits on the side to round things out and you’ve got the perfect meal to serve at your next brunch! (Or do what I do and make it for a weekend breakfast and have the leftovers during the work week!)
Easy Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole Recipe
If you’ve been a reader for a while, you know I love breakfast casseroles! This Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is similar to my Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole, except that it uses hashbrowns; it’s also a little bit like my Easy Breakfast Casserole or Overnight Breakfast Casserole, but that one has no meat and adds crescent rolls. Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is more of a classic recipe, with all the standard savory breakfast ingredients.
You can absolutely make this recipe ahead of time just like my Overnight Breakfast Casserole, though—just assemble everything the night before, cover it tightly and pop it in the fridge, then bake it in the morning. Let the dish sit on the counter while your oven preheats.
- Shredded hash browns – You can use frozen or the refrigerated kind; if you use frozen, thaw them before you start cooking.
- Sausage – The sausage needs to be cooked, crumbled, and drained. You can swap the sausage with bacon or ham, or make the hashbrown breakfast casserole recipe vegetarian by omitting the sausage.
- Red bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Eggs – Here’s how to crack an egg perfectly every time!
- Whole milk
- Cheddar cheese – You can switch things up with a different kind of cheese if you like. Pepper jack will give this a Tex-Mex twist, or try creamy smoked gouda.
How to Make Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
Preheat oven to 350°F and brown the sausage, draining the fat out of the skillet.
2. Beat the Egg Mixture
Place the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
3. Combine Remaining Ingredients
In a large bowl, combine the hashbrowns, onion, peppers, sausage and half of the cheese. Stir until the hashbrown breakfast casserole ingredients are evenly distributed.
Transfer the hashbrown mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish and pour the egg mixture over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 15 minutes more, until the edges are lightly browned and the center is set.
Hint: If you’re making this as an overnight hashbrown breakfast casserole, assemble it, then cover the dish with foil and refrigerate it.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
You can refrigerate leftovers covered in the original baking dish, or transfer them to an airtight container. Use them within 3 to 4 days, and reheat them in the microwave. You can also freeze leftovers for up to 3 months; defrost overnight in the refrigerator before microwaving.
What is the difference between a breakfast casserole and a quiche?
Quiche is usually made with a pastry crust in a round pie plate, while breakfast casseroles are made without a crust in a square or rectangular baking dish.
Do you bake hashbrown breakfast casserole covered or uncovered?
Both! The recipe starts by baking it covered, then during the last 15 minutes of cooking time, you remove the cover so the top can get nicely browned.
Does hashbrown breakfast casserole have to be refrigerated overnight?
No, you can assemble this casserole the morning you make it, so there’s no need to do it ahead of time. But if you want to make it ahead, you can!
More Breakfast Casserole Recipes to Try
- Crescent Roll Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Simple Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Baked French Toast Casserole
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- 30 ounces shredded hash browns thawed
- 1 pound sausage cooked, crumbled and drained
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- 8 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown sausage and drain fat.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt & pepper in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine hashbrowns, onion, peppers, sausage and ½ the cheese. Mix together and add to a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over the mixture and top with remaining cheese.
- Set aside ½ cup cheese for the topping.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight if desired.
- Bake 45 minutes covered with foil.
- Remove foil and bake 15 minutes or until cooked through. Edges will be lightly brown and center will be set.