Sausage Balls are made with just 4 simple ingredients – sausage, Bisquick, shredded cheddar cheese, and milk. This easy appetizer is the perfect appetizer, party food, or tailgate food! These Bisquick Sausage Balls are great for any time of the year.
You can even serve these as sausage breakfast balls too because of the simple and easy flavor. If you’re wondering what to serve with sausage balls, this Avocado Toast can be a great choice, or try Ham and Cheese Pinwheels or Jalapeño Poppers.
Sausage Balls Made with Bisquick
This Bisquick Sausage Balls recipe is so simple. Full of sausage, cheese, Bisquick mix, and milk, this easy recipe is one that works great for an appetizer or a quick bite to eat.
The great thing about this simple appetizer is that it’s really fast and easy to make. This is actually one of my go-to recipes when I know that I have to feed a crowd fast. And the great part about these sausage cheese balls is that they never, ever disappoint.
For another delicious appetizer idea, check out these Quick & Easy Meatball Sliders. Just more proof that sometimes appetizers are truly the star of the show!
Love the idea of having an entire meal of quick and simple appetizers? Check out our 11 Appetizer Recipes To Kick Off Any Meal to get even more great recipe ideas.
Ingredients + Variations
Gather up the short list of simple ingredients to get started. You can easily see why this is my favorite recipe for sausage balls.
- Original Bisquick
- cheddar cheese – You can use other types of cheese but I really like cheddar
- spicy sausage – If you’re not a fan of spice, use regular pork sausage instead!
- milk – I tend to use 2% milk but really any will do.
Even though this Bisquick Sausage Ball recipe is pretty straight-forward, there is always wiggle room to change things up a bit!
- You can easily make this sausage ball recipe less spicy by using a mild, sage sausage, or even a sweet sausage in place of the spicy sausage. Turkey Sausage works, too!
- Try out different dips to see if these cheesy sausage balls can stand alone or are better with more flavors.
- Add on some fun toppings like parmesan cheese or a fresh slice of jalapeno to give it even more depth.
- You can even make your own Homemade Bisquick Mix biscuit mix if you are out at home.
- If you want to add a bit of sweetness, you can add some maple syrup to the mix as well. A tablespoon or so should add a nice flavor.
- My kids really love to eat these meatballs with cheese. Pepper jack cheese is great to have shredded over the top as is sharp cheddar cheese as well. You can add the cheese right to the mixture, too.
- I like adding in a teaspoon of garlic powder sometimes as well.
How To Make Sausage Balls
1. Mix ingredients
Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl. TIP: Using a stand mixer makes this job much easier!
2. Form the sausage balls
Form into balls using hands or s small scoop. A cookie scoop works best to make 1-inch balls. I tend to keep them a bit smaller to cut down on calories and to keep them that classic meatball size.
3. Add to baking sheet
Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Place in the oven
Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. These would be great with honey mustard or marinara. Ranch dressing is also a favorite!
Bisquick Sausage Balls FAQS
Can you mix sausage balls in a mixer?
Sure! This is a fast way to mix all the ingredients together easily and it doesn’t make a mess. You can also mix by hand, too. Totally up to you and what your preference is.
How long will uncooked sausage balls keep in the refrigerator?
If you’re wanting to prep ahead and make this recipe a little bit in advance, you can actually make them up and keep them in the fridge for up to 2 days before cooking them.
Can you freeze uncooked sausage?
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can make the sausage balls and actually put them in the freezer, too. This is a fun way to have a quick snack when you don’t have time to make it fresh.
Make sure that you label the freezer bag so you know what’s in it! I also wrap it in foil so that it stays even fresher.
Why are my sausage balls dry?
These sausage balls will dry out quickly if there’s too much baking mix to the ratio of sausage. Try adding some milk or reduce the amount of Bisquick.
How do you store cooked sausage balls?
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze baked sausage balls for 3-4 months.
How do you reheat leftover sausage balls?
Reheat leftovers in the microwave or in an oven set at 350°F. Bake until warm through the center.
More Easy Sausage Recipes
If you like this sausage balls Bisquick recipe, here are some other great options as well.
- One-Pan Smoked Sausage & Pepper Hoagies
- Crock Pot Sausage Cheese Dip
- Keto Sausage & Egg Breakfast Bowls
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 4 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 pound sausage spicy
- 1/4 cup milk
- Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl
- Form into balls using hands or a small scoop
- Place 2" apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until lightly brown
Can you use gluten free bisquick?
My sausage is frozen. If I make these can I refreeze them after baking?
How many sausage balls to a serving? I saw 178 calories.
Do I cook the sausage before I mix everything together and bake
Hi! How do you store these once cooked?