Full of flavor and a perfect seasonal dessert, Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake Recipe is sure to please everyone at the dinner table this fall!
One of my favorite desserts includes a boxed cake mix and lots of butter – my Ooey Gooey Butter Cake recipe. I love this sweet treat that is easy to make and always turns out perfect. While I’m a fan of any boxed cake mix hack, from Chocolate Poke Cake to Peach Dump Cake, when it comes to fall desserts, this Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake can’t be beat!
Normally, this cake is filled with butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar but adding a can of pumpkin brings it to a whole new level of deliciousness.
EASY Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake is perfect for dessert with a steaming mug of homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte and is easy to take to fall cookouts and potlucks or even Thanksgiving. Everyone will be asking for this recipe. Guaranteed!
You just can’t beat this cake for ease and flavor. It’s everyone’s favorite!
Ingredients for pumpkin gooey butter cake
See the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
For the Cake:
- Yellow cake mix – Whatever brand you prefer!
- Egg – Here’s the best way to crack an egg.
- Butter – Melt it in a small saucepan or in the microwave.
For the Filling:
- Pumpkin puree – Be sure to use the unsweetened variety, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Cream cheese – Use a bar of cream cheese, not the kind that comes in a tub.
- Vanilla extract – Pure vanilla extract is the best!
- Butter – I like to use unsalted butter.
- Powdered sugar – Also known as confectioners’ sugar.
- Pumpkin pie spice – Homemade pumpkin pie spice or store-bought.
How To make Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
Preheat your oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 13×9-inch baking dish.
2. Make the Crust Layer
Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter in a large bowl. Mix well with an electric mixer, then pat the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
3. Make the Pumpkin Filling
In another large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until the mixture is smooth and there are no little lumps of cream cheese. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and butter, followed by the powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
4. Assemble and Bake
Spread the pumpkin layer over the base. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes; the edges should be set, but the center will still be a little gooey.
Cut the Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake into squares and serve each with a dollop of whipped cream.
How to Store Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Cake
Properly stored, freshly baked butter cake will last for about 1 to 2 days at normal room temperature. Refrigerate immediately any cake that contains frosting or filling made with dairy products or eggs, such as buttercream, whipped cream or custard frostings or fillings.
Gooey butter cake is a St. Louis original! They say a German baker added the wrong ingredient proportions when baking a coffee cake, and the gooey butter cake was born.
Yes, you can freeze this Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake for up to 3 months. Wrap it well in the pan, or you can wrap and store individual slices or leftovers in an airtight container or zip-top bag.
If you want to garnish your Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake, toasted pecans are perfect, as their earthy flavor works quite well with pumpkin. Another idea is to flavor your whipped cream with maple extract (which will give you a more pronounced flavor than maple syrup without thinning it out), cinnamon, or nutmeg.
You can add frosting, whipped cream, powdered sugar, a homemade glaze, or anything else that you want!
You can, but just know that it will change the flavor of the cake. Have fun and change it up – and then come back and let me know what you think!
Looking for more pumpkin recipes?
Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 box package yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 15- ounce can of pumpkin
- 1 8- ounce package cream cheese softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 16- ounce box powdered sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13×9-inch baking pan.
- Prepare the filling.In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat together until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice – mixing well.
- Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Do not over bake as the center should be a little gooey.
- Serve with whipped cream.
For another amazing pumpkin dessert, try these Pumpkin Recipes next!
Wow, this looks awesome!! I need to make this!
Let me know how you like it!
This looks perfectly delicious,thanks so much for sharing.
First of all I would like to say superb blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind before writing. I’ve had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or hints? Thank you!
OMG!!! This looks awesome! Going to have to give it a try. Thanks for the recipe.
Another pumpkin recipe I have to make. I am addicted to the stuff. Looks so good!
No way!!! I am saing no to diet! 🙂 You have great recipy here. Thank you very much!
Pumpkin is very healthy.
I love pumpkin desserts and I’ll try this one.
Yum! I don’t care that no one else in my family likes pumpkin… I’m making this!!
tried it with black coffe and it is great. thanks Kasey
That looks really good! Just needs a cup of milk and it would be perfect!
That looks really tasty!
Oh.my.hips. This sounds so good. I love anything with lots of butter in it 🙂
This sounds and looks amazing! I’d love to make this for my next PTA meeting.
This looks incredible! I am totally making this.
Looks very good! 🙂
What a fun idea for cake!
This sounds so good… and easy! I think even I could make this. 🙂
It looks perfect! I happen to love doctored up cake mix recipes 🙂