I’ve been doing a lot of holiday baking this week. Whew…it’s a lot of work! But, a little trick I’ve found to be helpful, is to use the same cookie dough for different cookies. It saves time by allowing you to double or even triple your batch to make even more for those cookie exchanges or holiday parties.
Today I made Peanut Butter Cookies 3 ways – Peanut Kiss Blossoms, Peanut Butter Cup Blossoms and Peanut Butter and Jelly cookies. Simple, delicious and VERY kids (and adult) friendly!
Use this fool-proof recipe to make these all-time favorites!
Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter at room temperature
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar more for rolling
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- one 11-ounce package Hershey’s Kisses foil removed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, peanut butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and light brown sugar.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla into the butter mixture; beat until well blended.
- Gradually add flour mixture, mixing thoroughly.
- Spray, oil or line a cookie sheet with nonstick liner and set aside.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls or use a 2-inch scoop for larger cookies.
- Roll cookies in sugar and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake until very light brown and puffed, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven and lightly press a candy kiss into center of each cookie, allowing it to crack slightly.
- Return to oven until light golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool completely and store in an airtight container.
* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup smooth peanut butter
* 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
* 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
* 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
* 1 large egg
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup Strawberry jam or Hershey Kisses or Reece’s Cups or
ALL OF THE ABOVE
makes about 25
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat peanut butter and butter with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add sugars, and beat until pale and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat until incorporated. Reduce speed to low. Add dry ingredients, and mix until combined.
2. Scoop level tablespoons of dough, and form into balls. Roll each ball in granulated sugar, and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.
3. Bake until cookies are puffy, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and either add candies or make indentations in centers by pressing with the handle end of a wooden spoon. Return to oven, and bake until edges are golden, 6 to 7 minutes more. Transfer sheets to wire racks, and let cool completely.
4. If using jam, heat in a small saucepan, stirring about 30 seconds. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon into each indentation. Cookies can be stored for up to 1 week.
*TIP: Add marshmallows to your cookie tin or air-tight container to keep cookies from drying out
I love these cookies. It’s nice to know the different ways I can make them.
Can’t wait to try ’em…again – when I visit next week!!!
Dad (aka PopPop)
We can’t wait either! Don’t worry, there are lots left over to share!