Muddy Buddies are a simple 6-ingredient snack that takes no baking at all. Also known as “puppy chow”, this will have everyone grabbing handfuls every time they walk by the bowl.
Melting the chocolate chips and peanut butter together is where the magic happens. Once you do that simple step in this muddy buddy recipe, you’re literally almost done!
With an easy prep time of just 5 minutes, this recipe will be your new favorite homemade snack for the weekend or weeknight fun.
Chex cereal, Butter, and Chocolate Chips
It’s not really a secret that the combination of peanut butter and chocolate chips are a match made in snacking heaven. And then when you add in the powdered sugar, you know it’s going to be good.
If you like the idea of simple snacking, this Simple and Easy Homemade Chex Mix is also a great snack idea that doesn’t have the sugars or sweetness.
Make your microwave do all the work and get ready to be impressed by the ease of these Chex Muddy Buddies.
It’s also a great after school snack as well!
INGREDIENTS + VARIATIONS
This is what gives this simple snack that added crunch. Plus, the way that the cereal is designed, some of the goodness gets inside of it as well.
We always use smooth peanut butter for this recipe but if you wanted to try crunchy, go for it!
The heart of the recipe, if you’re asking me!
Chex Trail Mix
This Red White and Blue Trail Mix Recipe is a fun treat as well. It doesn’t have all the added sweetness that this homemade muddy buddy recipe does but it goes well with it and is fun to eat!
- Reeses pieces
- Mini chocolate chips
- peanut butter cups
HOW TO MAKE MUDDY BUDDIES
Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
In a microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir.
Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
Pour mixture over cereal – stir until evenly coated.
Place in a 2-gallon resealable plastic bag.
Add powdered sugar.
Seal the bag well and shake until well coated.
Spread on waxed paper to cool.
Store in an airtight container.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Make sure to really shake up the bag with the ingredients inside so that it all gets evenly coated! (This is a super fun job for the kids!)
- Freeze it for later if you happen to have any leftover that you just can’t finish.
EASY SNACK RECIPES
- Back to School Lunch Ideas, Hacks, And After School Snacks
- 5 Delicious Snacks Under 200 Calories
- Quick & Healthy Mommy Snacks
- 9 cups Rice Chex or Corn Chex Cereal
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In a microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir.
- Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal - stir until evenly coated.
- Place in a 2-gallon resealable plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar.
- Seal the bag well and shake until well coated.
- Spread on waxed paper to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.