This Instant Pot Whole Chicken recipe is an easy way to make dinner fast!
With just 10 minutes of prep needed and a handful of simple ingredients like paprika, pepper, and salt, you’ll be chowing down in no time at all on this simple chicken dinner!
Cooking A Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot
This simple chicken recipe is one of the best and fastest ways to cook a whole chicken perfectly.
Using dried ingredients like oregano, thyme, and rosemary just add to the awesome flavor and taste.
And with just 30 minutes of cooking time in the Instant Pot, this whole chicken is ready to eat! Does it get any easier than that?
If you need an easy side to go with your chicken, try my Instant Pot Spaghetti!
Ingredients + Variations
Buying a raw whole chicken from the store doesn’t have to be confusing anymore. This recipe for cooking a whole chicken in your instant pot takes away that stress.
Using your Instant Pot to cook up these Instant Pot Hot Wings is just another simple way to cook up chicken in a few short moments of time.
How To Make Instant Pot Whole Chicken
1. Clean the Chicken
Clean chicken, pat dry with a paper towel, set aside
In a small bowl, combine seasonings
Sprinkle seasoning mixture over chicken and cavity
Stuff the cavity with lemon and onion
5. Prepare Instant Pot
Set instant pot to high saute setting. Add oil to the pot
6. Add Chicken
Lay chicken breast side down and cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes
7. Cook Chicken
Turn chicken over and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown
Remove chicken and set aside
Place metal rack into the pot with the handles up, add chicken broth
Place chicken on top of rack
Select manual setting to high and set time for 6 minutes per pound
When the timer goes off, carefully naturally release pressure for 20 minutes
8. Rest Chicken
Let chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting
Tips for Success
- Be certain to add enough liquid to your Instant Pot so it cooks the chicken properly.
- Make certain to let the chicken rest fully before serving.
- Use a carving knife for ease of cutting.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge to enjoy later.
What internal temperature should chicken be cooked to be safe to eat?
For chicken to be safe to eat, it needs to have an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
Easy Chicken Recipes
Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- 1 (4-5 lbs) whole roasting chicken
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 lemon, cut in quarters
- 1 medium white onion, cut in quarters
- Clean chicken, pat dry with paper towel, set aside
- In a small bowl, combine seasonings
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture over chicken and cavity
- Stuff the cavity with lemon and onion
- Set instant pot to high saute setting
- Add oil to pot
- Lay chicken breast side down and cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes
- Turn chicken over and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove chicken and set aside
- Place metal rack into the pot with the handles up, add chicken broth
- Place chicken on top of rack
- Select manual setting to high and set time for 6 minutes per pound
- When timer goes off, carefully naturally release pressure for 20 minutes
- Let chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting
- Serve immediately
- Store leftovers in refrigerator