Homemade Chicken Pot Pie -this easy chicken pot pie recipe is the ultimate comfort food! Learn how to make this easy chicken pot pie recipe full of shredded chicken, peas, carrots in a creamy homemade gravy.
This classic chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food! Use a store-bought pie crust with this easy chicken pot pie recipe for either a quick weeknight dinner or a more laid back weekend meal.
Chicken Pot Pie
Full of chicken, peas, and carrots in a light homemade gravy, this recipe is easily doubled which makes it perfect to make one for dinner and one to either freeze or give away.
I love to make and take this homemade chicken pot pie recipe to a new mom or someone just needing a little extra love.
I usually pair it with a salad and chocolate cupcakes for an easy homecooked meal!
The ultimate comfort food that is ready in under 45 minutes!
Tips for making Homemade Chicken Pot Pie:
- You can use turkey or chicken in this recipe. In a pinch, grab a rotisserie chicken from the deli!
- Don’t worry about making your own pie crust (though you can!) This chicken pot pie is made with a store-bought crust that always turns out perfect! I like Pilsbury Pie Crusts Best, but a frozen crust works, too!
- Chicken pot pie is perfect for doubling the recipe and freezing! Have 1 for dinner today and place one in your freezer for a future meal. It’s simple to make – just pop in the oven straight from the freezer! Add a little baking time to make sure it’s hot and browned. No need to thaw first!
Ingredients for Chicken Pot Pie
- chicken breasts
- salt + pepper
- chicken stock
- pie crusts
This homemade comfort dish is always a favorite for everyone who tries it. I’ve taken it to new moms and I’ve made it for family dinners, it’s just so good.
My sister jokes (although I think she really did!) that she and her husband ate the entire pie in one day when I took it to them! It’s really that easy and so good!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts -cooked & shredded
- 1 cup sliced carrots fresh or frozen I like to use the frozen carrot and peas blend sometimes in a pinch
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 9 inch unbaked pie crusts store bought is fine!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add chicken mixture to liquid mixture and stir.
- Place 1 pie crust in bottom of pie pan and add chicken/veggie mixture
- Cover with top crust, seal edges.
- Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving with a green salad or just on it's own!
For more amazing Chicken Recipes, try these next!
The Best Crock Pot Pulled Pork
Baked Lemon Chicken Thighs & Potatoes
Baked Cheesy Chicken + Mushrooms
I made this pot pie for dinner today. Very easy, filling and delicious!! I’ll definitely make it again.
GREAT! It’s one of my favorites, too!
Thanks for the recipe. Will try this week since wife and I are to stay home.
Loved your choc cake cheesecake.
Jon kloosterhouse retired Michigan. Trooper
GREAT! I am so happy to hear that, Jon! That Cheesecake is the best, too! 🙂
Looks so yummy!