Homemade biscuits and gravy is a classic Southern breakfast perfect for a Sunday morning! Warm biscuits are smothered with a savory sausage gravy in this easy recipe.
Southern biscuits and gravy are always something special! It’s not the kind of breakfast you eat in a hurry on a weekday morning—it’s a breakfast you savor at the table with your family. That’s what makes it the perfect breakfast for Christmas or a weekend when you have time to stay in your pajamas all morning and enjoy a hot meal together.
Easy Biscuits and Gravy Recipe
I order biscuits and gravy when we go out to breakfast at a restaurant, but I forgot how easy it is to make it at home! The biscuits (this is my favorite homemade biscuit recipe) can be made in advance (or if you’re in a time crunch, you can use store-bought or pre-made biscuit dough), and the sausage gravy comes together in a matter of minutes.
Between the flaky biscuits and the savory homemade gravy, this recipe is destined to be a hit with the entire family! It’s filling enough to make a meal by itself, but you can also pair it with a side of fresh fruit or a sweet breakfast recipe like Blueberry Muffins.
- Pork sausage – Pork sausage is traditional for sausage gravy, but if you don’t eat pork, you can use another variety.
- All-purpose flour
- Whole milk – Whole milk gives you the creamiest gravy, but 2% can be used in a pinch.
- Warm biscuits – Here’s my homemade biscuit recipe.
How to Make Biscuits and Gravy
1. Cook the Sausage
Cook the sausage in a small skillet set over medium heat until it’s no long pink. Drain off the excess grease.
2. Finish the Gravy
Add the butter to the skillet. Once it has melted, stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring constantly. Bring the mixture to a boil, continuing to stir until the gravy thickens to your desired consistency. Remove from heat.
3. Assemble and Serve
Place the biscuits on plates and spoon the gravy over them. Serve immediately.
What goes with biscuits and gravy?
Biscuits and gravy isn’t exactly a light breakfast option, so you don’t really need to serve it with anything else! If you do want to pair it with another food, I recommend fruit, bacon, or a sweet option like Cinnamon Sugar Breakfast Muffins.
What are biscuits and gravy?
Biscuits and gravy are exactly that—biscuits plated and served with gravy on top! It’s my favorite way to enjoy homemade biscuits.
Is biscuits and gravy a breakfast food?
Yes, biscuits and gravy is traditionally served as a breakfast item in the South, but you can make it for lunch or dinner too. Why not, right?! My family loves breakfast for dinner!
How to Store and Reheat Biscuits and Gravy
Store the biscuits at room temperature in an airtight container for a day or two, and refrigerate leftover sausage gravy for 2 to 3 days. Warm the biscuits in the microwave or oven, and heat up the gravy in a saucepan on the stove or in the microwave, then assemble and serve.
More Old-Fashioned Breakfast Recipes
- How To Make The Fluffiest Scrambled Eggs
- How To Make Homemade Pancake Mix
- Easy Homemade Waffle Recipe
- Oatmeal Breakfast Squares
Biscuits and Gravy
- 1/4 pound pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cup whole milk
- Warm biscuits
- Using a small skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no long pink; drain.
- Add butter to skillet and heat until it is melted. Add the flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir until incorporated. Add the milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, continuing to stir until the mixture thickens.
- Once the gravy thickens to your desired consistency, serve immediately over biscuits.