These easy Ham & Cheese Breakfast Burritos are a handheld breakfast on-the-go that’s hearty enough to fuel your morning! Made with scrambled eggs, cooked ham, and plenty of melty cheddar, they’re a satisfying breakfast the whole family will love.
What do you think of when I say “breakfast on-the-go”? The chocolate chip granola bars you give your kids to eat in the car on the way to school because they’re running late yet again? The Starbucks latte you picked up at the drive-thru after dropping your kids off at school to reward yourself for getting them there before the bell rang? Well, these Ham & Cheese Breakfast Burritos are here to change up your morning routine!
Make a batch of these burritos on a Sunday night and you’ve got a warm, protein-packed breakfast that will power your kids (and you!) through the day. They’re easy, they’re tasty, and they’re even picky-eater-proof!
(If you prefer your breakfasts sweet rather than savory, my Oatmeal Banana Breakfast Cookies, Peanut Butter Banana Muffins, and Breakfast Sliders are also great grab-and-go options!)
Easy Ham & Cheese Breakfast Burritos Recipe
The first step in this recipe is to scramble the eggs, and the next step is just putting everything together and rolling it all up. How simple is that?!
You’ll use pre-cooked ham, which means the work is already done for you. I usually set aside some leftovers after I make Crock Pot Ham, which I use to make these Ham & Cheese Breakfast Burritos the next day. But you could also get deli ham or fry up a small ham steak for using in this recipe.
Because these Ham & Cheese Burritos are freezer-friendly, you might want to double or triple the recipe, and you totally can! If needed, scramble the eggs in batches—or just use the biggest skillet you have.
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Large eggs – Here’s the best way to crack an egg.
- Heavy cream – This will give you nice, creamy scrambled eggs, but you can use half-and-half or whole milk if you prefer.
- Unsalted butter
- Cooked ham – Chop it into bite-sized pieces or cubes.
- Cheddar cheese
- Flour tortillas – Warm them up so they’re easy to fold!
- Salt & black pepper
- Switch out the meat. Okay, these are Ham & Cheese Breakfast Burritos, but you can definitely make them with sausage or bacon if you’d like.
- Add some veggies. Add sautéed onions, mushrooms and/or bell peppers to work some veggies into breakfast. Raw green onions can be added to the scrambled egg mixture, too.
- Fold in some hash browns. Cook hash brown potatoes until they’re crispy and add these to the burritos.
- Use a different cheese. Smoked cheddar, gouda, Monterey jack cheese, havarti, or Swiss would all be delicious in this recipe.
- Make them with egg whites. If you prefer, you can make the scrambled eggs without the yolks.
How to Make Ham & Cheese Breakfast Burritos
1. Make the Egg Mixture
Whisk the eggs and cream in a bowl until the eggs are beaten and incorporated into the cream.
2. Scramble the Eggs
Melt the butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add the Rest of the Ingredients
Add the ham and half of the cheese and continue to stir and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the eggs are set, but still soft.
Spoon the egg mixture onto the tortillas, then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Fold in the sides, then roll into burritos.
How to Store Ham & Cheese Breakfast Burritos
These burritos can be wrapped in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, microwave on high power for 1 to 2 minutes, or until warmed through. (You could bake them in the oven at 350ºF, but it will take longer.)
You can prevent soggy breakfast burritos by making sure the eggs are cooked until they’re set and fairly dry. The wetter the filling, the more likely it is that your burritos will be soggy.
If you’re making breakfast burritos for a crowd, you can keep them warm in a 200°F oven. Place the burritos on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper and keep them in the oven until you’re ready to serve them.
These Ham u0026 Cheese Breakfast Burritos are a complete breakfast on their own! That said, you can serve them with fruit on the side to round them out.
Warm the tortillas before assembling the burritos, which will make them more pliable and less likely to unfold. Also, be sure not to overstuff the burritos—this will make them difficult to roll up and stay rolled up. If you’re freezing the burritos, freeze them with the seam side down.
More Savory Breakfast Recipes
- Quick & Easy Breakfast Quesadillas
- Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Pizza
- Amish Breakfast Casserole
Ham & Cheese Breakfast Burritos
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¾ cup cooked ham chopped
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 10" flour tortillas warmed
- salt & black pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, add the eggs and cream and whisk together to combine.
- Heat the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat until melted. Add the eggs and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly to scramble. Add the ham and ½ the cheese and continue to stir and cook for 2 minutes, or until the eggs are set but still soft.
- Divide the eggs between the tortillas, top with the remaining cheese, fold the sides in, and roll forward into burritos.