Fried zucchini makes a delicious appetizer or side dish—and it’s a great way to use up a bumper crop of zucchini! It’s pan-fried to crispy perfection and even the pickiest eaters will devour their veggies when they’re this good!
We all have our go-to recipes when we have more zucchini than we know what to do with. There’s zucchini bread (and chocolate zucchini bread!), zucchini casserole, zucchini lasagna… but sometimes you just want something a little more simple. That’s where fried zucchini comes in!
Fried zucchini is one of those recipes that’s so easy, you’ll wonder why you haven’t been making it all your life. It’s the perfect way to use your zucchini harvest, and it makes a tasty appetizer or side dish.
Easy Fried Zucchini Recipe
This fried zucchini recipe features a breading made with seasoned breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese, which makes it extra flavorful, and it’s pan-fried in olive oil until it’s crispy and golden brown. You can even give it a little kick by adding some crushed red pepper flakes to the breading.
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious way to use up your zucchini, this fried zucchini recipe is a winner!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Zucchini – Use medium zucchini here; large zucchini is hard to fit into a pan so you’ll have to cook several batches, while small zucchini is a pain to bread!
- Eggs – Here’s the best way to crack an egg!
- All-purpose flour
- Parmesan cheese
- Seasoned breadcrumbs – It’s important to use seasoned breadcrumbs here, since we’re not adding other spices or herbs.
- Vegetable oil – Canola oil will work, too.
- Salt & pepper
- Marinara sauce or ranch – For dipping.
How to Make Fried Zucchini
Cut the zucchini into ½” slices. Beat the eggs with the salt and pepper in one shallow bowl, combine the cheese and breadcrumbs in a second shallow dish, and in a third shallow dish, whisk the flour with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat the Pan
Add the oil to a heavy sauté pan set over medium-high heat.
3. Dredge the Zucchini
Coat the zucchini slices first in the flour, then the egg, followed by the breadcrumbs. Gently place the breaded zucchini slices into the oil in a single layer and cook them for 2-3 minutes on each side.
4. Drain and Season
Set the cooked fried zucchini slices on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.
How to Store Leftover Fried Zucchini
Leftover fried zucchini can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 350ºF oven until warmed through. An air fryer will work too, but use your microwave as a last resort—it won’t re-crisp the zucchini.
Here are some of my favorite ways to serve fried zucchini:
- As an appetizer with marinara sauce, fry sauce, or ranch dressing for dipping
- As a side dish alongside grilled chicken or fish
- As a swap for French fries with burgers
The key to avoiding soggy fried zucchini is to make sure your slices are evenly coated in breadcrumbs. You also want to make sure your oil is hot enough before adding the zucchini—if it’s not hot enough, the breading will absorb too much oil and become soggy.
To make breaded zucchini fries, simply cut your zucchini into fry-shaped pieces and follow the same breading procedure as outlined in this recipe. Then, fry the zucchini fries in hot oil until they’re crispy and golden brown.
Zucchini fries are a healthier alternative to French fries because they’re lower in calories and fat. Plus, they contain vitamins and minerals that French fries don’t have.
Yes, you can! If you want to avoid frying, you can bread your zucchini and bake it in the oven. Simply preheat your oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then, follow the breading procedure outlined in this recipe. Coat the fries with cooking spray and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the zucchini is crispy and golden brown.
More Ways to Use Zucchini
- Zucchini Corn Fritters
- Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Carrot Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 cups bread crumbs seasoned
- vegetable oil for frying
- salt & pepper to taste
- marinara sauce or ranch for dipping
- Slice zucchini into ½” slices.
- Beat eggs with salt and pepper. In a separate shallow dish, mix together the cheese and breadcrumbs and in another, mix the flour with some salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a heavy saute pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Dredge the zucchini slices first in the flour, then the egg, and lastly the breadcrumbs. Gently drop the breaded zucchini slices into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Drain fried slices on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
Loved it. I added salt which set it off perfectly.
My kids loved this for dipping!