This French fry dipping sauce is creamy, sweet, tangy, and a little bit spicy! In addition to being the best fry sauce around, you can put it on burgers, sandwiches, and more!
Why make French fry dipping sauce when ketchup exists?! If that’s your first thought when seeing this recipe, well, let me tell you: this fry sauce is super easy to make and you might even have most of the ingredients on hand in your pantry already. So really, the question is: why wouldn’t you want to make French fry dipping sauce?!
Easy French Fry Dipping Sauce Recipe
Some people call this a “secret sauce,” but I’m about to let the secret out of the bag! There’s nothing complicated or fussy here—all you have to do is stir together the ingredients and you’re good to go. The main ingredients are mayo and ketchup, but it’s the other ingredients that really deliver the flavor here. Worcestershire sauce brings umami to the table, pickle brine livens things up with a little tang, and hot sauce gives it a kick.
You can customize this recipe to your liking to make your own famous French fry dipping sauce—I have some ideas below! The great thing about this recipe is that it’s pretty fail-proof. If you tweak things and you’re not happy with the taste, add a little more of this or that until it turns out perfect!
- Mayonnaise – You can make a vegan fry sauce by using a plant-based mayo and Worcestershire sauce. Miracle Whip will work in this recipe, too!
- Worcestershire sauce
- Pickle brine – You can use relish instead, but I prefer pickle brine because it doesn’t change the color or texture of the sauce.
- Paprika – Use regular paprika or add some smoky flavor with smoked paprika.
- Seasoned salt
- Hot sauce – You can use a pinch of cayenne instead if you don’t have hot sauce on hand.
Fry Sauce Without Mayo
Not a fan of mayonnaise? You can make fry sauce with sour cream or plain yogurt instead. The taste isn’t quite the same, but you’ll still get a nice, creamy texture in your fry sauce without mayo.
How to Make French Fry Dipping Sauce
1. Combine the Ingredients
Combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, pickle brine, paprika, and hot sauce in a small bowl. Stir well and serve.
Ways to Use French Fry Dipping Sauce
While the obvious way to use French fry dipping sauce is for French fries, I have some other ideas for you here:
- Tater tots
- Air fryer popcorn chicken
- Sweet potato fries
- Crispy Chicken Strips
- Corn on the cob (kind of like Mexican street corn!)
How to Store Leftovers
You can refrigerate French fry dipping sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. It may separate a bit, which is okay! Just stir it before serving. Fry sauce doesn’t freeze well, so I don’t recommend it.
What is fry sauce made of?
There are different versions of fry sauce with slightly different ingredients, but the basic recipe is usually mayo and ketchup, plus other ingredients for flavor like pickle brine, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, hot sauce, etc.
Is fry sauce only in Utah?
This French fry dipping sauce originated in Utah, but now it’s becoming popular everywhere!
What does fry sauce taste like?
Fry sauce is creamy, sweet, savory, and a little bit tangy. It’s perfect for amping up the flavor of French fries!
More Sauces, Dips, and Dressings
French Fry Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon pickle brine
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, pickle brine, paprika, and a pinch of cayenne. Serve with your favorite fries or use on a top of a burger!