This strawberry cake made with a box cake mix is full of bright berry flavor, and it’s also a beautiful shade of pink! You’ll love the fresh strawberry buttercream that goes with it, too!
Calling all strawberry lovers! This is the cake for you! (It’s also the cake for you if your favorite color happens to be pink.) I’m pretty sure this cake has it all: it’s light and fluffy, it’s an absolute stunner (just look at the color!), and it’s full of flavor. Oh, and did I mention that it’s easy to make? It’s made from a box cake mix! You know how I love a box cake mix that tastes better! Because I can’t forget that either!
Easy Strawberry Cake Mix Recipe
I think this strawberry cake is perfect for a baby shower, girl’s birthday party, or even just to welcome strawberry season in the spring. The bright pink color also makes it a great choice for Valentine’s Day! You might be surprised to learn that the color isn’t from food coloring, but instead it’s from strawberry gelatin. (Basically, if you loved my Strawberry Jello Poke Cake, you’re going to love this moist strawberry cake recipe from a box too!)
The gelatin does double-duty here, because it also gives this cake a lovely texture that’s light, soft, and super moist. (The fresh strawberries help with the moist-factor, too. And now I promise I’ll stop saying the word moist!)
Topping the whole thing off is a batch of homemade strawberry buttercream, tinted a beautiful soft pink color from crushed strawberries. You don’t really need to add anything else, but a few strawberries on top for garnish are the perfect finishing touch.
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
For the strawberry cake:
- White cake mix – Use any brand you like. ( you can also use a strawberry cake mix and omit the gelatin)
- Strawberry gelatin
- All-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
For the frosting:
- Butter – Let this come to room temperature so it’s easy to whip up into a smooth, creamy frosting.
- Confectioners’ sugar – Also known as powdered sugar.
- Milk – Any kind of milk will work!
How to Make Strawberry Cake
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line the bottoms of two greased 8-inch round baking pans with parchment paper, then grease the parchment.
2. Make the Cake Batter
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, sugar, and flour. Add the water, oil, and eggs. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in the chopped strawberries.
Divide the batter into the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks and remove the parchment. Cool completely before frosting.
4. Make the Frosting
Beat the butter in a small mixing bowl until it’s creamy. Beat in the crushed strawberries, followed by the confectioners’ sugar.
5. Assemble and Frost
Spread the frosting onto the top of the bottom cake layer. Place the top cake layer over the bottom, then frost the sides and top.
How to Store
This cake will keep at room temperature for up to a day, but after that, it will need to be refrigerated in an airtight storage container or wrapped well. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 4 days. You can freeze strawberry cake for up to 3 months; let it thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Can you bake frozen strawberries in a cake?
If you want to use frozen strawberries, I recommend thawing them in a colander to let the excess liquid drain off.
How can I decorate this strawberry cake?
White, red, or rainbow sprinkles look pretty on this cake, as do whole or sliced strawberries. Even other berries will look good arranged onto the top of the cake! You can also swap the strawberry buttercream for cream cheese frosting instead.
Can I make this strawberry cake recipe with raspberries?
Yes, you can use raspberry gelatin instead of strawberry and use fresh or frozen raspberries; I recommend removing the seeds by pressing the raspberries through a fine mesh sieve.
More Recipes for Strawberry Lovers
- 1 package white cake mix regular size
- 1 package 3 ounces strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-3 tbsp milk – as needed for desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of 2 greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin, sugar and flour. Add water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fold in chopped strawberries. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in crushed strawberries. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.