Crack dip is so good you might just find it, well… addictive! Cream cheese and sour cream combine to make a tangy ranch-flavored dip, with bacon and cheddar cheese to truly make it irresistible!
When a recipe has “crack” in the name, you just know it’s going to be good! Crack dip gets its name from the fact that you can’t just have one serving—you have to go back for another scoop (or ten)! When you serve this at a party, there probably won’t be any leftovers—instead, your guests will be fighting over who gets to scrape the last bit of dip from the bowl!
Easy Crack Dip Recipe
There are a few ingredients that are always sure to make a recipe a crowd-pleaser: ranch dressing, cheese, and bacon are definitely among the most popular. So when you combine all three in a super-creamy dip, you absolutely can’t go wrong! This recipe is a little bit like my Million Dollar Dip with the addition of ranch seasoning, but there are no almonds and the dip is a little bit thicker thanks to the cream cheese.
Because the dip needs to be refrigerated for at least an hour before serving, it’s great for making ahead to make party prep easier. Have the dip done the day before so you can focus on all those last minute dishes that can’t be made ahead of time!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Cream cheese – The cream cheese needs to be softened so you can easily stir all of the ingredients together and make sure they’re evenly distributed!
- Sour cream
- Ranch dressing mix
- Real bacon bits or 6 crumbled cooked bacon
- Cheddar cheese – I like using a sharp cheddar for more flavor.
- Green onion – Chives can be used instead of the green onions if you prefer.
How to Make Crack Dip
1. Make the Base
Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and ranch seasoning in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to combine them until they’re smooth and creamy.
2. Add the Cheese and Bacon
Fold in 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar and 2/3 cup of the bacon. Transfer the dip to a serving bowl.
3. Garnish and Refrigerate
Top the dip with the remaining cheddar, green onions, and bacon bits. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
How to Store Crack Dip
Store any leftover crack dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I don’t recommend freezing this dip.
What can I serve with crack dip?
My favorite pairing is Ritz crackers, but any type of cracker is great, as are thick tortilla chips (they need to be hefty enough to stand up to scooping!). Slices of French bread or toast, pita chips, and celery will work, too.
What is crack dip made of?
There are a lot of variations of crack dip, but my version uses sour cream, cream cheese, and ranch seasoning for the base, with cheddar, bacon, and green onions to take it to the next level. Some people also add jalapeño peppers or green chiles to give crack dip a Tex-Mex twist!
Can you freeze crack dip?
You can, but I don’t recommend it because it’s likely to become watery and the bacon and green onions will be soggy and unappetizing.
More Crowd-Pleasing Dip Recipes
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1 ounce package Ranch dressing mix
- ½ cup real bacon bits OR 6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- thinly sliced green onion for garnish
- Mix cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, ranch mix with a mixer until combined well.
- Fold in 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese and ⅔ cup bacon bits.
- Top with ½ cup cheddar cheese, green onions, and remaining bacon bits to garnish.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.