Check out these semi-homemade Coconut Cream Cupcakes! Made from a doctored-up cake mix and topped with homemade buttercream frosting…easy AND delicious!
If you like coconut as much as I do, you’re going to LOVE these semi-homemade Coconut Cream Cupcakes with Homemade Buttercream Frosting!
Made from a doctored up cake mix and homemade buttercream frosting, these Coconut Cream Cupcakes are easy AND delicious!
When that craving for coconut cupcakes hits, coconut lovers will be so happy that they have this moist cupcakes recipe! If you’re a fan of coconut, you seriously can’t miss these cake mix cupcakes!
Coconut Cream Cupcake Recipe
One of my most favorite things to splurge on is cupcakes. I love all cupcakes! I also love cake, but having a cupcake is like having a perfectly sized portion of a piece of cake right in your hand.
Plus, it’s easy to eat, you get the perfect amount of cake and frosting in each bite and they’re just so darn cute! I have to refrain from making them often since they are so easy to just grab one as you’re walking by the counter. I end up eating way more than I should!
One of my favorite flavors of cupcakes is coconut! I love coconut anything, really. When I was growing up, my mom made the best coconut cake. And I wanted to take that same delicious taste and put into a cupcake form.
I’m pretty sure I accomplished that with these easy to make, Coconut Cream Cupcakes!
You could make this Coconut Cream Cupcake from scratch (like my Coconut Cake), but I’ve found that doctoring up a cake mix provides the best flavor and consistency every time.
I use Duncan Hines cake mixes since they are Wilton approved. Did you know that MOST wedding cakes come from this box mix? I had no idea until I saw a local baker buying a ton at the store one day and then a friend of mine shared this secret from her cake making classes!
See…anyone can be an amazing baker with just a little practice and these cupcakes are about as easy as it gets!
Ingredients for this moist coconut cupcake recipe
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- White cake mix
- All purpose flour
- Granulated white sugar
- Vegetable oil or canola oil
- Vanilla extract
- Sour cream
- Coconut cream
How to make Coconut Cupcakes topped with shredded coconut
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Step 2: Line the cupcake pan
Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
Step 3: Mix the ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt.
Step 4: Beat
Add remaining ingredients and beat for 2 minutes, or until well blended.
Step 5: Fill the cupcake liners
Use an ice cream scoop to fill prepared cupcake tins- fill about 3/4 full.
Step 6: Bake
Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 7: Cool the cupcakes
Remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
Step 8: Add the coconut cream
Using a chopstick or straw, poke several holes in each cupcake. Pour about a tablespoon of coconut cream into each cupcake.
Step 9: Cool and frost
Allow to cool and frost with my buttercream frosting using a 1m tip to create bakery-style frosted tops.
Step 10: Top with coconut
Top with sweetened coconut – patting down slightly so that it doesn’t fall off.
I use my buttercream frosting and top with sweetened coconut. I have to say that the frosting is key to an amazing cupcake! It’s not too sweet or heavy. My recipe always turns out the same which makes it the best go-to frosting for cupcakes or cakes!
How to Store Coconut Cream Pie Cupcakes
Add the cupcakes to an airtight container and keep them stored in the fridge. They should stay fresh for up to 2 days.
Can I use other toppings for the frosting?
You can. I think adding a coconut cream cheese frosting would be super delicious as well. Anything that you think will pair well with the flavor of the cupcake batter is fair game to use! Add some powdered sugar to the top of the cupcakes as well!
Do you have to add the coconut filling?
These cool cupcakes are so good with the secret ingredient filling in the middle! Adding in the cream of coconut makes for the best coconut cake and cupcake flavor, ever. The first time you make these cupcakes, add the middle! It’s a wonderful recipe when you make it just like it calls for!
Can you freeze baked cupcakes?
You bet! Just add the baked cupcakes to a freezer safe bag and freeze them for later. Once you unthaw them, you can then add the frosting fresh on top.
More Easy Cupcakes
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Crazy-Good S’mores Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes (From a Doctored Cake Mix!)
How to Make Coconut Cream Cupcakes with Homemade Buttercream Frosting
Coconut Cream Cupcakes with Homemade Buttercream Frosting
- 1 Duncan Hines box white cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can coconut cream sometimes found in the alcohol section
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, flour, sugar and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat for 2 minutes, or until well blended.
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill prepared cupcake tins- fill about 3/4 full.
- Bake about 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes to wire rack to cool.
- Using a chop stick or straw, poke several holes in each cupcake. Pour in about a tablespoon of coconut cream into each cupcake
- Allow to cool and frost with my buttercream frosting using a 1m tip to create bakery style frosted tops
- Top with sweetened coconut – patting down slightly to so that it doesn’t fall off.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low, slowly add confectioners, and beat until fully incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the paddle and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add vanilla and salt. Mixing completely.
- Add milk one tablespoon at a time until it’s a smooth consistency. Turn mixer to high and beat until light and fluffy.
Need to alter a recipe for other measurements? Try this free printable that shows you How Many Cups in a Quart, Pint or Gallon and other valuable ways to translate while you cook.