For super moist chocolate cake, try this doctored cake mix recipe that makes THE BEST chocolate cupcakes around! You’re going to love the chocolate flavor. I honestly think that this is the best chocolate cupcake recipe ever!
When it comes to this chocolate cupcakes recipe, it’s going to be your new favorite way to make cake mix cupcakes easily at home!
If you’re looking for how to improve a box cake mix, I have the #1 post on Google with all the best tips for how to make a box cake better – it really does have all the best tips!
For today, I’m sharing an easy cupcake mix recipe that incorporates my favorite tips! You’ll learn how to make the best chocolate cupcakes from a mix – easily!
I love a homemade chocolate cupcake recipe from scratch as much as the next person, but I also love to pull out a few ingredients from my pantry along with a cake mix for the added security of knowing my cake will turn out perfectly.
You can always find a cake mix in my pantry to use whenever it’s needed for a chocolate craving, a birthday, bake sale, or just a Friday night.
It’s just a good idea to always have ingredients needed for cupcakes on hand at all times, right? Right!
See the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Devil’s Food Cake Box Mix – Any brand will work so use your favorite brand.
- Eggs – Needed to bind together all the other ingredients.
- Sour Cream – This adds such a moistness to the cupcakes!
- Milk – I use real milk as I like the added flavor.
- Pudding – Adding pudding is another great way to create a moist texture. No one wants dried-out cupcakes!
- Oil – I like to use vegetable oil for cake mix recipes.
- Vanilla – The added hint of vanilla is so good!
How To Make This Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Step One: Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 325° Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
Step Two: Combine the dry ingredients
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Step Three: Add the rest of the ingredients
Add the remaining ingredients and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
Step Four: Fill the cupcake liners
Use an ice cream scoop (linked above) to fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
Step Five: Bake
Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step Six: Cool and apply frosting
Cool completely before frosting. Pipe on frosting with a large star tip for a swirl or just by hand!
How To Store Cupcakes
If you have leftover cupcakes, store them in an airtight container. Due to the cream cheese frosting, they need to be kept in the fridge. For the best flavor and freshness, eat within 2-3. (I highly doubt that they’re going to last that long!)
What is the best brand of cake mix?
I get asked about which brand of cake mix is better a lot – Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, or Pilsbury – and I have a hard time answering. I usually pick up whatever is on sale and stock up in the process.
A quick Google search will tell you that there isn’t one clear winner. One is overall the best vanilla cake mix, another – the best chocolate cake mix.
My expert opinion – and that’s due to eating a lot of cake – is to go with one of the top brands that is on sale. You can’t go wrong! And if you get a cake mix with pudding in the mix, that’s a plus, too!
How many cupcakes do you get from a box of cake mix?
One box of cake mix makes between 24 and 30 regular-size cupcakes when each cupcake liner is filled with 1/3 cup of batter, according to the back of most cake mix boxes.
I’ve found that it’s right around 24 cupcakes if you use a scoop – like this one – to evenly add the batter to the cupcake pan.
What kind of cake mix do you use for chocolate cupcakes?
OH, I’m glad you asked! I LOVE a devil’s food cake for chocolate cake or cupcakes.
The batter is nice and thick – plus it has an amazingly rich flavor that every chocolate lover loves
Making your very own cupcakes at home is way better than buying them from the bakery. You control what goes in and what you get out of them! Give it a shot! I bet you won’t go back to the store for premade again!
More Cake Mix Recipes
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Cake Mix Pumpkin Roll
- Yellow Cake Mix Cookies
- Cake Mix Sour Cream Coffee Cake
How to Make a Box Cake Taste Homemade
- 15 ounce box devil’s food cake mix
- 3.9 ounce box instant chocolate pudding dry
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325° Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Use an ice cream scoop (linked above) to fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Pipe on frosting with a large star tip for a swirl or just by hand!
Butter Cream Frosting
Pin this for later!