The BEST Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe! With a pre-made crust, instant chocolate pudding, and creamy whipped topping this Chocolate Cream Pie will have you coming back for more!
Anytime I’m looking for a fast, easy, and delicious pie recipe, this Instant Pudding Chocolate Pie is calling my name. The chocolate flavor and added chocolate chips are a tasty combination not to be missed.
Chocolate Pie with Whipped Cream Topping
I’m a huge fan of pudding pies. I was a bit skeptical at first but after I made my first one, I knew that these creamy pies were a game-changer in the kitchen. I tend to make these pies using a premade crust during the spring and summer months because they have a wonderful flavor, are easy to bake, and no-fail!
This pie would be the perfect addition to your Easter dinner or summer fun family BBQ as well. There’s just something about a chocolate dessert that makes everyone happy instantly.
This simple no-bake chocolate pie will have you loving how fast you’ll be cutting into your very first piece.
Ingredients to make this Chocolate Pie Recipe
- Frozen Pie Crust – I love using Pilsbury Frozen Deep Dish Pie crusts for this option because they always turn out perfect.
- Instant Chocolate Pudding – Instant is the way to go. Fast and always delicious.
- Whipped Topping – This gives that extra creamy texture and is the perfect topping.
- Chocolate Chips – Put on just a few or layer them thick!
How To Make Chocolate Creme Pie
Step 1: Bake the crust
Bake your frozen pie crust according to the directions on the package. Allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
Step 2: Make the pie filling
To a large bowl, combine the instant chocolate pudding and milk. Mix well. Add 1 cup of whipped topping and fold to mix. Pour mixture into the crust to chill.
Step 3: Add toppings
You can add on the whipped topping and chocolate chips either before you chill the pie OR right before serving. I normally do it right before serving if I’m not taking it anywhere.
Step 5: Enjoy!
This easy chocolate pie recipe is ready to slice and eat!
Tips or Variations
- If you’d rather not use a frozen pie crust, you can make and bake your own crust or use a graham cracker crust as well. I even like a refrigerated crust! I even think that an Oreo crust would be super good here, too!
- Use whole milk or 2% for this recipe. Skim milk tends to get watery in the pudding. You need a higher fat content milk to get a creamy consistency.
- Make certain that you chill the pie before serving for perfect slices of pie.
Can you freeze pudding pie?
You can. If you want to save this pie for later, you can add it to your freezer in a freezer-safe storage container. When you’re ready to eat, just place it in the fridge or on the counter to let it unthaw before cutting. Or enjoy frozen for a frozen summer treat! I think that freezing this chocolate cream pie with pudding sounds divine!
What other flavors can you make of this simple no-bake pie?
This is why this pie recipe rocks. Any flavor of the instant pudding will work so have fun changing up the flavor of the pie and the topping!
Here are a few of our favorite pudding pie flavors:
- Banana Cream
I think that a banana chocolate cream pie sounds pretty good! Even though I like this easy recipe for chocolate cream pie just like it is, I am open to trying out pie variations always.
What are some great topping ideas for this no-bake chocolate cream pie recipe?
I’m all about adding whipped cream and mini chocolate chips to the top of this pie. Chocolate shavings are always a good idea as well.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can always drizzle the top with hot fudge or melted caramel, too. Lastly, adding some sliced bananas to the top could be your attempt at adding some health!
Looking for more easy dessert recipes, here are some of our favorites!
- Coconut Cream Cake
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Oreo Dessert
- Strawberry Dump Cake
- Cherry Pie
- Homemade Brownies
- French Silk Pie
Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 frozen pie crust
- 2 cups cold milk whole milk is best
- 2 packages 3.4 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 carton 8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Bake frozen pie crust as directed on the package and allow to cool on a rack while you prepare the pudding filling
- In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding on low speed for 2 minutes. Fold in 1 cup whipped topping. Pour into crust and chill.
- Before serving, top with remaining whipped topping and chocoalte chips.