If you’ve been craving a light Chocolate dessert that’s sure to wow everyone, you’ve found it! This Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Bread is so good, and sweet, and so easy to make.
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Bread is the kind of recipe you just have to make (and taste) to believe. Who knew you could make bread with ice cream?! Start with frozen custard, add flour and powdered sugar, then fold in milk chocolate chips. Once it’s done baking, dress it up with cream cheese frosting for an unbelievably easy dessert.
Making Bread With Ice Cream
I know, the idea of using ice cream to make bread sounds a little out there, but stick with me! Ice cream is made with eggs, milk or cream, and sugar, and each of these is an ingredient in quick bread. Using ice cream simply streamlines the process!
There are some two-ingredient ice cream bread recipes floating around out there, but after some testing, I settled on this version, which adds powdered sugar for sweetness and chocolate chips for, well, chocolate. You can make it with or without the cream cheese frosting, but let’s be real: cream cheese frosting makes everything better.
Easy Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Bread Recipe
Even with the addition of powdered sugar and chocolate chips, this recipe for ice cream bread is a cinch to whip up. You don’t even need to melt the frozen custard! It just needs to soften up a bit so you can incorporate the other ingredients.
Because you simply stir all the ingredients together to make the bread—no stand or hand mixer needed—this is a fun recipe for younger kids to help out with. Just measure out the ingredients and let them dump them all in and mix it up! Although I haven’t tried it myself, I bet you could make this recipe into ice cream muffins by using a muffin tin instead. (If you do this, let me know how it turned out and I’ll update this post and give you a shout out!)
Here’s what you’ll need to make the recipe:
- Frozen custard – While you can use ice cream instead, I chose frozen custard because it has a softer texture, which means I didn’t need to wait as long for it to soften up.
- Self-rising flour – Be sure to buy self-rising flour—it’s not the same as all-purpose flour and the recipe won’t work without it!
- Powdered sugar – You’ll need a cup of powdered sugar for the ice cream bread, then an additional 3 or 4 cups for the frosting.
- Milk chocolate chips – Feel free to use another type of chocolate chips, chopped nuts, fruit, or even funfetti sprinkles instead. This recipe is versatile like that!
- Butter – Let the butter soften a bit so it’s easy to whip up into a creamy frosting.
- Cream cheese – Ditto with the cream cheese! Set it on the countertop when you start the recipe and by the time you get around to making the frosting, it should be perfectly softened.
- Vanilla extract – You’ll need this to flavor the cream cheese frosting.
- Mini chocolate chips – The perfect garnish for your bread!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Bread
Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line a loaf pan with two sheets of parchment paper.
2. Mix the Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, stir the frozen custard a few times until it’s smooth and softened, then add the flour and powdered sugar. Once the dry ingredients are incorporated into the custard, fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 20 minutes. Take a peak at the bread at this point—if the top is golden brown, place a piece of foil over it to prevent it from burning. Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once the bread is done baking, remove it from the oven and carefully lift it out of the bread pan. Let the ice cream bread cool on a wire rack.
5. Make the Frosting
Using a stand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until it’s smooth and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla, then add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time, continuing to mix until the frosting is thick and creamy.
Use a spatula to spread the frosting over the top of the cooled bread, then sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Serve and enjoy!
What is ice cream bread?
Ice cream bread is a quick bread made with self-rising flour and ice cream. Made with just these two ingredients, ice cream bread is lightly sweet; add sugar and mix-ins, like I do in this recipe, and it’s more like a traditional sweet quick bread that you’d have for a dessert.
What does ice cream bread taste like?
It’s super good! The bread has a tender crumb and it doesn’t taste like one of those novelty recipes that you make once to see how it turns out and never attempt again. You’ll actually enjoy this one, I promise.
Does ice cream bread really work?
Yep! It works because ice cream is sugar, eggs, and milk, which are three ingredients used to make quick bread.
More Recipes for Chocolate Chip Lovers
Do you have a soft spot for chocolate chip desserts? Check out these reader favorites!
- Chocolate Chip Candy Cookie Bar
- The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
- No-Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Truffles
- Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookie Bars
CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM BREAD
- 3 cups of Frozen Custard - softened
- 2 cups of Self-rising Flour - I used Gold Medal
- 1 cup of Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 4 Tablespoons of Butter - softened
- 4 ounces of Cream Cheese - softened
- 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla
- 3 to 4 cups of Powdered Sugar
- Ghirardelli Mini Chocolate Chips to Top
- Line a loaf pan with 2 pieces of Parchment Paper - One that fits from Side to Side, with some paper hanging over the sides, and another piece that fits length wise, end to end, that also hangs over the end - this will make it very easy when lifting the Bread out. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the Frozen Custard, and stir until it's just soft, and smooth. Add the Flour, and Powdered Sugar, and stir to blend. Add the Chocolate Chips, and stir well to blend. Pour the batter into the loaf pan, and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Check the Bread, and if it's golden brown on top, place a piece of foil over the top to prevent burning. Leave the Bread in the oven another 20 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the Bread from the oven, and gently lift the loaf out of the pan with the Parchment paper. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- When the Bread is cool, make the Frosting; in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, place the Butter and Cream Cheese, and blend with the whisk attachment until fluffy and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and blend again. Add the Vanilla, and blend. Add the Powdered Sugar a little at a time, blending between additions until the Frosting is thick and creamy.
- Smooth Frosting on the top of the Bread swirling on top to make a pretty design. Top with Mini Chocolate Chips. Enjoy!