If you love your breakfast casserole with bread, then this is the recipe for you! It pairs toasty chunks of bread with savory sausage, eggs, and plenty of cheese.
Make this breakfast casserole with bread and you can enjoy a hot, hearty morning meal without spending hours in the kitchen. (We love that, right?!) Simply layer bread, sausage, eggs, and cheese in a baking dish and bake until golden brown, melty, and toasty. Whether you’re feeding a crowd or just want a satisfying weekend breakfast for your family, this casserole is sure to please!
Oh, and did I mention you assemble it the night before so you can pop it in the oven in the morning? Because we love that too!
Breakfast Casserole with Bread Recipe
If you’re like me, you’re a big fan of breakfast casseroles. I mean, what’s not to like? They are essentially an all-in-one meal that can be tailored to your family’s tastes. Here on All Things Mamma, I have breakfast casseroles with potatoes, breakfast casseroles with crescent roll crusts, and even breakfast casseroles for the slow cooker. But this breakfast casserole with bread is my current fave!
The recipe is very similar to a French toast casserole, except instead of sweet flavors, it leans savory with cheese and sausage. You can feel free to swap the sausage for ham, bacon (Canadian or otherwise), or even roasted veggies for a meatless breakfast bake.
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Pork breakfast sausage – You can swap in chicken or turkey if you prefer.
- Onion – A standard yellow or white onion is perfect!
- Eggs – Here’s the best way to crack an egg.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – Feel free to substitute another variety. Gouda would be delicious here!
- Whole milk
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- White bread – Toast it and cut it into cubes.
How to Make Sausage & Egg Breakfast Casserole With Bread
Grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
2. Cook the Sausage
In a heavy skillet, cook the sausage with a little vegetable oil. Break up the sausage with a wooden spoon while it cooks. Once it is cooked through and browned, remove it from the pan.
3. Cook the Onion
In the same skillet, cook the onion until it’s translucent, which should take about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the onion from the pan and set it aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, half of the cheese, milk, and seasoning. Fold in the toasted bread, sausage, and onions. Pour this mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese, then cover the dish and refrigerate it for at least 8 hours or preferably overnight.
Let the casserole come to room temperature while the oven preheats to 350ºF. Bake, uncovered, for 40 to 50 minutes. The casserole is done when a cake tester comes out clean.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Breakfast Casserole With Bread
Store any leftovers wrapped in the baking dish or transfer them to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days and reheat in a 350ºF oven or in the microwave until warmed through. This breakfast casserole can also be frozen for up to 2 months; let it thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
What goes with breakfast casserole?
I like serving this breakfast casserole with bread alongside fresh fruit for an easy breakfast! If you’re making it for a crowd, you might want to also make a sweet breakfast recipe like my Easy Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole so everyone can choose whether they want a sweet breakfast, savory, or a little of both!
How long can uncooked breakfast casserole stay in the fridge?
I don’t recommend letting this sit in the fridge longer than overnight. If it sits too long, the bread will get too soggy.
What can I put in breakfast casserole with bread?
Leftover ham (I use the ham from my Crock Pot Ham), crumbled bacon, or Canadian bacon are all great additions, as are roasted broccoli or sautéed mushrooms. Feel free to get creative with this recipe!
More Savory Breakfast Ideas
- Bacon & Gruyere Sous Vide Egg Bites
- Eggs Benedict
- Bisquick Breakfast Casserole With Bacon
- Keto Sausage & Egg Breakfast Bowls
Cheesy Sausage & Egg Breakfast Casserole with Bread
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion diced
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 6 slices white bread cut into 1” cubes and toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a heavy skillet, cook the sausage with a little vegetable oil, breaking up the sausage with a spoon, until cooked and browned. Remove from the pan.
- In the same skillet, cook the onion until translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, ½ the cheese, milk, and seasoning until combined. Stir in the toasted bread, cooked sausage and onions. Pour into the prepared baking dish, top with the remaining cheese, cover, and refrigerate at least 8 hours or preferably overnight.
- Let the casserole come to room temperature before baking for 40-50 minutes, uncovered, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Why are we preheating the oven if we’re going to leave it in the fridge overnight? Just wondering. I’m still going to try it, but I won’t preheat till I’m ready to bake it lol
I think there was too much milk to the eggs, and I ended up having to cook it for far longer than what was listed. It ended up tasting like really wet scrambled eggs and cheese.