Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole – the easiest cheesy potato dish made with leftover ham that will have you going back for seconds!
Looking to step up your side dish game? Look no further. This irresistible Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole is truly delicious and so easy to make! Whip up these cheesy potatoes for a potluck, a special occasion, or just a hearty family meal.
This recipe is perfect to use after the holidays. It’s a great way to use up your leftover Easter or Christmas ham in a fresh way. This may be a side dish, but it’ll certainly steal the show!
Pair this up with my Crock Pot Ham to make an amazing meal that everyone will love! This easy sliced ham and potato casserole recipe is one of my favorites.
HAM AND CHEESE POTATO CASSEROLE
If you like my famous Easy Cheesy Potatoes, you’re going to LOVE this ham and potato casserole too!
While this casserole is technically considered a side dish, you could serve it as the main event. With cheesy hashbrowns, juicy diced ham, and topped with chives for that extra touch of flavor and detail, this recipe might just end up being the main attraction.
The best part about this creamy dish? Instead of spending precious prep time on scalloped potatoes, you can use frozen hashbrowns and leftover ham for a meal that comes together in minutes before simply popping it into the oven!
- Frozen Hash Browns – Trust me on this – using frozen hash browns will save you SO much time and hassle. I promise you won’t lose any of the flavor either!
- Cream of Chicken Soup – This is a great base for the rest of the ingredients. Perfect for a creamy comfort food casserole like this one!
- Sour Cream – Adding sour cream will really enrich the flavor, as well as ensuring a thick, decadent dish.
- Butter – Melted butter makes everything better. However, if you’re looking for a slightly lower sodium option, you can substitute salted for unsalted butter and switch the cream of chicken soup for unsalted chicken broth and bouillon.
- Grated Cheddar Cheese – Cheddar cheese is a personal favorite but you can always experiment with variations such as swiss, cheddar jack for a spicy kick, or a smoked gouda. Whichever one you choose, grating your own cheese will give you a much smoother texture.
- Onion – A small, yellow onion, diced is your best option for holding the flavor during that prolonged baking period.
- Ham – You could pick up ham from the deli or use your leftovers for a new spin on the classic baked ham recipe.
- Salt and Pepper – All you need is enough to enhance the flavor.
- Chives – This ingredient is optional but I highly recommend it! It gives that extra dash of flavor and that pop of green looks so nice when serving.
HOW TO MAKE HAM AND POTATO CASSEROLE
STEP 1. PREPARE
As with any good casserole recipe, first, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
STEP 2. MIX
In a large bowl, combine frozen hash browns, diced ham, cream of chicken soup, sour cream melted butter, diced onion, grated cheddar cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well until ingredients are evenly combined.
STEP 3. BAKE
Add the cheesy ham and potato mixture to a 9×13 baking dish. Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
STEP 4. SERVE
Now for the best part! If desired, top the cheesy ham and potato casserole with fresh chives, and dig in! You’re going to love this country ham and potato bake!
How Long Will the Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole Stay Fresh?
This delicious casserole will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about three to four days. Just be sure to keep it in a nice, tight airtight container!
How Should I Serve with Creamy Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole?
I think this hearty, comfort casserole is extremely versatile! Serve it as a side dish with an entree like ribs, or let it stand out on its own.
Try turning this side dish into the main course by adding green beans or Roasted Brussel Sprouts on the table to accompany this casserole. I also think this would be a wonderfully savory addition to breakfast alongside a stack of Blueberry Pancakes or Breakfast Casserole.
TRY ONE OF THESE DELICIOUS SIDE DISH RECIPES TO ACCOMPANY YOUR ENTREE!
- Zucchini Casserole
- Cheesy Mushroom and Onion Green Bean Casserole
- Copycat Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Cauliflower Casserole
Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
- 2 lb bag frozen hash browns
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter - melted
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion - diced
- 2 -3 cups ham - diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Mix all of the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Add the cheesy ham and potato mixture to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Top with chives if desired.