Buffalo chicken casserole is a flavorful, simple dish that everyone will love. Shredded chicken is layered between rigatoni, buffalo sauce, and ranch dressing to make a true punch of flavor. It will be a dish you make time and time again.
The creamy casserole is a true crowd-pleaser. It all comes together in one bowl and then bakes in a large casserole dish for easy serving. The dish is perfect for any family dinner, a summer barbeque, or a holiday gathering.
CREAMY AND FLAVORFUL BUFFALO CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Buffalo chicken is always a hit. It’s a true favorite no matter when or what I serve it on. I mean, who doesn’t love buffalo chicken dip or buffalo chicken nachos. Those dishes are always the first to go. Don’t even think about leftovers, either — everyone loves buffalo chicken.
What I love most about this dish is how easy it is to make. Everything comes together in one bowl and is baked in one dish. You can even serve the casserole right out of the dish, making it even easier.
Don’t worry if spice isn’t your thing. This recipe has a perfect balance of flavor from the buffalo sauce, making the spice very tolerable. The ranch combines with the buffalo sauce to make a creamy and rather refreshing sauce that won’t light your mouth on fire. The sauce adds more to the flavor of the dish and doesn’t make the casserole overly spicey.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE BUFFALO CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- Rigatoni pasta – cook and drain the pasta before cooking.
- Cream cheese – allowing it to soften before adding to the dish.
- Buffalo wing sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Chicken – cook and shred before adding to the mixture.
- Cheddar cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Green onion – chopped.
HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE BUFFALO CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Preheat the oven to 375F and lightly grease an 8-inch casserole dish. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and ranch dressing. Mix together until smooth and creamy. Add the shredded chicken, 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese, and the cooked pasta. Mix to coat everything evenly and pour the mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.
Bake the casserole for 18-20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted on the top and is very bubbly. Sprinkle the top with the chopped green onions and serve while hot.
HOW TO STORE BUFFALO CHICKEN CASSEROLE
If you have leftovers of the buffalo casserole, store the casserole in the fridge in an airtight container. The casserole should keep for about a week.
The casserole can also be stored in the freezer, both cooked and uncooked. If freezing uncooked, prepare the dish as if you were going to cook it and wrap the casserole dish tightly. When you want to serve the dish, let the casserole thaw the night before and cook the dish as you would normally.
If freezing cooked, let the casserole cool completely and then wrap in an airtight container or wrap the casserole dish in foil. The casserole will last in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Buffalo chicken casserole can be both the main dish and a side dish to any meal. If you are serving it as a main dish, serve it alongside roasted vegetables, a salad, or with another casserole. It can also be served as an appetizer.
Yes, canned chicken would work well with the dish. It wouldn’t be the most flavorful, but it would do the same thing as regular chicken in the casserole.
Not a fan of ranch dressing? No problem! Replace it with bleu cheese for that same creamy flavor.
MORE BUFFALO SAUCE DISHES
Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- 8 oz rigatoni pasta cooked and drained
- 1 8oz package cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 3/4 cups ranch dressing
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1/3 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease an 8-inch casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and ranch dressing until smooth.
- Add the chicken, ½ cup of mozzarella cheese, and cooked pasta. Mix to combine. Pour into the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese and cheddar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with the chopped green onion to garnish. Serve immediately.