It’s New Year’s Day and while everyone is having Black Eyed Peas and Greens – I’m having Buckeyes!
That’s right! Maybe it’s not right in line with my New Year’s Resolution to get healthier – but it is inline with my resolution to create more happiness and these Buckeyes definitely make me happy!
My sister-in-law, Jenifer, makes the best Buckeyes EVER. They’re seriously like a little bite of heaven – creamy, rich, peanut butter, chocolatey goodness in each bite. She only makes them once a year at Christmastime. But, I’m going to rally for her to make them for Valentines Day, Easter and maybe even President’s Day! They’re that good!
I wasn’t sure if she’d share her TOP SECRET recipe with me (it has to be secret if they’re that good, right?!) but when I asked, she was more than happy to AND she said I could share them with YOU! YAY! Now YOU and I can make the very best Buckeyes EVER! Now…run out, get the ingredients and make these yummy balls of heaven today to start the New Year off right!
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chocolate bark
- In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar. The dough will look dry. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used later as the handle for dipping) and chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth.
- Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding onto the toothpick. Leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like Buckeyes. Put back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.
Buckeyes are one of my favorites. Actually peanut butter and chocolate anything are my favorites. They look delicious, and seem easy enough to make. Thanks for sharing.