Brookies are perfect for all those times when you can’t choose between a brownie and a cookie! This easy brookie recipe uses chocolate chip cookie mix and brownie mix to help get dessert on the table lickety-split!
I love to give boxed cake mixes an upgrade, but today we’re going to give cookie mix and brownie mix an upgrade—by putting them together and making the ultimate treat! Brookies start with a layer of fudgy brownies, which is then topped with a second layer of chewy chocolate chip cookie for double the decadence. If you love chocolate, or even if you just have a sweet tooth, you’re going to love this recipe.
And you’re especially going to love how easy it is!
Easy Brookies Recipe
Seriously, this recipe for brookies couldn’t be any more simple. Just pick up a pouch of chocolate chip cookie mix and a box of brownie mix at the grocery store, and you probably have all the rest of the ingredients in your kitchen already!
If you’re looking for an effortless holiday baking project or something for your kids to whip up while they’re home for school over winter break, this easy brookies recipe is exactly what you need. You can dress it up with M&Ms or sprinkles, but it’s perfect as-is too. After all, who can resist brownies and cookies together?!
For the Cookie Layer:
- Chocolate chip cookie mix
- Butter or margarine – This should be softened at room temperature.
- Egg – Your egg should also be room temperature.
For the Brownie Layer:
- Fudge brownie mix
- Vegetable oil – Canola oil is fine too.
- Eggs – Let these come to room temperature also!
How to Make Brookies
Preheat your oven to 350°F and spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Make the Brownie Layer
In a medium bowl, stir together the brownie ingredients until well-combined. Spread it evenly in the prepared pan.
3. Make the Cookie Layer
In another medium bowl, stir together the cookie ingredients until a soft dough forms. Dollop small spoonfuls of the cookie dough evenly over the brownie batter—it will spread as it bakes.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for 33 to 38 minutes, or until the brownies are set around edges and a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the side of the pan comes out almost clean.
5. Cool and Serve
Cool the brookies in the pan on a cooling rack for about 1 hour, then cut into squares and serve.
How to Store Brookies
Store your brookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. You can refrigerate them for up to a week, but they taste better when kept at room temperature!
What are brookies?
Brookies are a bar recipe that combines a layer of brownie batter with a layer of chocolate chip cookie dough and bakes them to perfection!
How long does it take brookies to cook?
It depends on the recipe you follow! For this easy brookie recipe using brownie mix, it takes between 33 and 38 minutes.
How do you know if brookies are done?
Brookies are done when you can insert a toothpick and it comes out almost clean. A few crumbs (or chocolate) is okay, but it shouldn’t have many and the dough/batter shouldn’t seem wet.
Can you freeze brookies?
Yes, you can freeze brookies in an airtight container or freezer bag for 2 to 3 months. Let them thaw at room temperature or heat them in the microwave for a warm dessert!
More Dessert Bars to Try
- Copycat Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
- 7-Layer Magic Cookie Bars
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars
- Pecan Pie Bars
- Lemon Bars
- Cookie Layer
- 1 pouch cookie mix chocolate chip
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 egg
- Brownie Layer
- 1 box brownie mix fudge
- ¼ cup water
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, stir Brownie Layer ingredients until well blended. Spread evenly in pan.
- Next, in medium bowl, stir Cookie Layer ingredients until soft dough forms.
- Dollop small spoonfuls of the cookie dough evenly over the brownie batter (no need to spread it out or press it down).
- Bake 33 to 38 minutes or until brownies are set around edges and toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean.
- Cool completely in pan on cooling rack, about 1 hour.
- Cut into square and serve.