Banana split cake has all the flavors you love in your favorite frozen treat, served up in the form of a creamy chilled cake! A buttery graham cracker crust is topped with layers of bananas, fluffy cream cheese, pineapple, and sundae toppings!
I’ve shared so many creamy no-bake desserts here on All Things Mamma, from No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie to No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake, but if you can’t decide between banana cake and a banana split, then this cake is the recipe for you!
Instead of ice cream, it’s made with a sweet, fluffy cream cheese filling, but it still has the sliced bananas, pineapple, chocolate syrup, whipped topping, and even the maraschino cherries!
Easy Banana Split Cake Recipe
Because this cake is made in a 9×13-inch pan, it’s ideal for potlucks, parties, and summer barbecues because it will feed a crowd! It’s also great for entertaining because you can make it a day or two in advance, and when you’re ready to serve, all you have to do is add the nuts, chocolate syrup, and cherries.
Another fun party idea is to make a build-your-own banana split cake bar! Serve everyone a square of the cake, then arrange all kinds of topping options on your bar so your guests can garnish their cakes as they please. Caramel sauce, strawberry sauce, crushed Oreos, brownie pieces, sliced strawberries, marshmallows, and more all make perfect toppings!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Graham crackers – Pulse the graham crackers in your food processor to form a coarse crumb.
- Granulated sugar
- Butter – I recommend using unsalted butter.
- Cream cheese – Make sure you use full-fat cream cheese that’s sold in the form of a bar, rather than the kind that comes in a tub.
- Powdered sugar – Also known as confectioners’ sugar
- Crushed pineapple – Drain this well to keep your banana split cake from getting soupy!
- Frozen whipped topping – Also known as Cool Whip! Don’t swap this for whipped cream; Cool Whip has added ingredients to stabilize it so it will last longer in the fridge.
- Maraschino cherries
- Chopped peanuts, walnuts, or pecans
- Chocolate sauce
How To Make Banana Split Cake
- 1. Prepare: Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray to keep the crust from sticking.
- 2. Make the Crust: Combine the graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter in a medium bowl and stir to incorporate. Transfer the crust mixture to the prepared pan and use your hands to press the crumbs into the bottom, forming an even layer. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- 3. Make the Creamy Filling: Beat the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar at medium speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- 4. Assemble: Spread the cream cheese mixture over the graham cracker crust, then layer on the pineapples, followed by the bananas and whipped topping.
- 5. Chill: Refrigerate the banana split cake for at least 2 hours before serving, or until it has set.
- 6. Serve: Before serving, sprinkle the cake with chopped nuts and drizzle it with chocolate sauce. Slice the cake into squares and serve each with a maraschino cherry.
How To Store Banana Split Cake
Refrigerate the banana split cake wrapped in the pan, or transfer any leftovers to an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days, or it can be frozen for up to 2 months. If you freeze it, let it thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Scroll down to find my banana split cake recipe! Everyone has their own unique take on a classic banana split cake, but mine features a graham cracker crust layered with a creamy cheese filling, pineapple, bananas, Cool Whip, and a variety of sundae toppings.
Banana splits get their name from the fact that the bananas are split lengthwise before topping them with scoops of ice cream!
Yes, you can freeze your banana split cake. Be sure to wrap it well and it will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
More Refrigerated Dessert Recipes To Enjoy
Banana Split Cake
For the Crust:
- 2 cups graham crackers crushed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted
For the Filling:
- 2 8-oz packages of cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 bananas sliced
- 1 15-oz can of crushed pineapple drained
For the Topping:
- 1 16-oz container of frozen whipped topping thawed
- 1 16-oz jar of maraschino cherries drained
- 12 ounces chopped peanuts or walnuts
- chocolate sauce
- Spray a 9×13 inch dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- To make the crust, mix the crushed graham crackers, granulated sugar, and melted butter until well-combined.
- Press the mixture into a 9×13-inch cake pan and freeze for 30 minutes.
- For the filling, beat together the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar at medium speed until smooth. Pour and spread over the chilled crust.
- Top with a layer or pineapples, followed by bananas.
- Spread the whipped cream evenly over the top.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Before serving, sprinkle with chopped nuts, drizzle with chocolate sauce. Then top each individual serving with a maraschino cherry.