It’s the time of year that everyone thinks about adopting a pet for their family. There’s so many families that love to put a smile on their children’s faces with a sweet little puppy under the tree. But why not think about adopting a senior pet? There’s so many dogs and cats in an animal shelter that get adopted daily, but most people over look the older pets. When in actuality, these older guys make the best pets! As the mom of a senior cat, 17 years old, I can attest to how rewarding it is to be able to care for this older guy. “Big Kitty” has been in our life since he was a baby and we’ve seen him grow old. But, being able to care for him in his older years has been wonderful. He knows us and we know him. It’s hard watching him get older, but we love him just the same! Being a parent to a senior is as important as caring for a younger pet. I would suggest you think about it if you’re ready to adopt a pet!
Here’s 5 Reasons to Adopt a Senior Pet to that may help you decide if a senior pet is right for you!
- Senior pets need a home just as much as younger pets. Most senior pets were abandoned by their owners for one reason or another and need a home just like the younger pets. Adopting an older pet could save their life!
- Older pets are usually trained. Most older pets come already trained, calmer and ready for a new home! You CAN teach an old dog new tricks, too!
- Senior pets are ready to be your best friend! Unlike young pets that need trained, are teething and have a little more energy, senior pets are ready to be your best friend and know how to be loyal.
- You can tell what their personality will be. With a senior pet, you get an immediate preview of their personality and will know who you will be taking home. It’s a great way to see if you’re a match together!
- Older pets are ready for routine. They are used to having a schedule, bathroom breaks, being home alone and more. Adopting a senior pet can be an easy transition on your both!
Someone who loves senior pets as much as I do is Rachael Ray.
For Rachael food equals love — whether she’s cooking a meal for friends or working with pet nutrition experts to create delicious recipes for your family’s furry companions. Rachael’s Rescue was created for all of the forgotten pets — the ones that might not have someone who loves them as much as you love your pet.
100% of Rachael’s personal proceeds from sales of Nutrish have gone toward food, medical supplies and treatments for animals in need. Every Rachael Ray Nutrish food and treat recipe is made with simple ingredients like real meat and wholesome veggies, so they’re naturally delicious.
This holiday season, consider adopting a senior pet. It could be one of the most meaningful things you ever do.